Friday, September 30, 2011

Criticism of My Behavior

As usual, Congressional opposition to President Lincoln were aimed directly at me, his personal bodyguard. Mr. Lincoln had warned me that this would happen.

Reports to the president included complaints that I was extravegant and excessive in my propensity to alcoholic beverages and eating, that I swore too much and that I smoked cigars to the extent that when one was nearly finished I used it to light the next one.

Admittedly these were problems, though minor ones. Mr. Lincoln was aware of my smoking, drinking and swearing. He didn't approve and often chided me about one or the other.  He also knew that I was willing to take a bullet for him, drop anything at any time day or night to aid him, and didn't do any of these to such an extent that it would interfere with my duties.

I smoked probably 15 cigars a day. So what?

I drank whiskey like water, but was also starting to grow fond of champaign and wines. Though my drinking was legendary, I swear I never drank enough that I couldn't recite "When you and I were young Maggie."

No comments:

Post a Comment