Friday, March 18, 2011

My Assignment to Visit South Carolina for the President

It seemed with each passing day, that war was imminent.  Mr. Lincoln polled his Cabinet members as to what their thoughts were on the situation at Fort Sumter in the Charleston, South Carolina harbor.
On the morning of March 16, 1861, Mr. Lincoln called me into his office.  He said the Cabinet couldn’t decide what needed to be done and on top of that, General Winfield Scott didn’t have the men to reinforce the fort. Scott recommended Mr. Lincoln abandon the fort.
Mr. Lincoln told me he needed me to travel to Charleston to be his “eyes and ears” and to assess the situation up close.  He made it quite clear that I was not to speak for him.
He ended our conversation with the following: “Hill, if Major Anderson evacuates Fort Sumter, then I shall have to evacuate the White House.” I think he said that because he wanted me to get the directions straight.
I was to carry a pass indicating that I had business with the postal authorities in Charleston. That was a guise. I was actually scheduled to meet with South Carolina Governor Pickens and even try to see Major Anderson at the fort. My duties were information gathering only. He made it very clear. I understood the assignment. And I prepared to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment