Friday, May 6, 2011

My Early Days in Washington City

My early days in Washington were both very productive and very lonely. My new wife Sally was still back in Springfield, Illinois. She was quite unhappy with for two specific reasons. I had given her the impression that my young daughter Dollie would be coming with us. Dollie however was pretty stubborn and chose to live with her Aunt and Uncle Morgan who had raised her since the death of her mother and my first wife. Secondly, Sally had her heart set on my appointment as Counsel to Paris. Mr. Lincoln had other plans. Thus Sally chose to not accompany me to Washington City.
I sought accommodations in a neighborhood not far from the White House. I procured an annual lease on a small apartment and moved my meager belongings in. I would not be there much, but needed to have something if Sally changed her mind.
Meanwhile President Lincoln decided to open the White House to anyone and everyone. I didn’t think that was wise, but he reminded me that all federal jobs were now vacant. The majority of those in line were persons who wanted to meet the new President for the purpose of seeking postal appointments, port authority assignments or the like in their home town. For some reason Mr. Lincoln decided he needed to meet with each and every person and make the appointment himself.
Most of my day was overseeing the visitors and watching to see if I thought they were any danger to him. I was pretty sure that my two eyes alone could not avert a disastrous situation at the President’s home.
W. H. Lamon

No comments:

Post a Comment