Friday, June 10, 2011

Recruiting in Williamsport, Maryland

This past week I have been stationed at what has become known as Camp Lamon, my recruiting post where I was attemtpting to raise a Union regiment of Virginians. My appointment as U. S. Federal Marshal of the District of Columbia had not been authorize as Congress had not yet convened.

Williamsport, Maryland, being located just across the Potomac River from Virginia, made it convenient to send messengers into Virginia looking for recruits. As the word got out, more and more crossed the river to enlist.

It was through my recruiting that some confusion became obvious. I received correspondence to Colonel Lamon, Major Lamon and even General Lamon. To make things perfectly clear, the Governor of Illinois had given me the honorary title of Colonel. I was never anything beyond that, no matter what anyone else tells you.

I was not sure how long I would be allowed to recruit or when I would be expected back in Washington City.

W.H. Lamon

No comments:

Post a Comment