Friday, August 5, 2011

Enforcing the Fugitive Slave Law Became My Charge

I had received word from my mother back in Mill Creek, Virginia that three of my brothers had joined the Confederate Army. I wrote back reminding her that she had always encouraged us to “obey the laws of our country and to support the Constitution and laws of the United States.”  I hoped that the time would never come when we had to lift our hands against each other.
In attempting to keep the Border States loyal, President Lincoln made it clear that he wanted the Fugitive Slave Law enforced fully. That became part of my job. Negroes from Maryland and those states close by in the south, saw Washington City as an ideal haven and fled here. I took them into my jails and held them, mostly for their protection. Our “accommodations” in the District jails became overcrowded with runaways, criminals and some military prisoners.
In our conversations, Mr. Lincoln reminded me that he had suggested that the District of Columbia ban slavery during his few short years in Congress, but that the measure was never been enacted.
About this time my brother, Robert, a Confederate soldier was captured and sent to my jail. After talking to him for several days, he saw the light. I arranged for his release. He would stay on in Washington City to become one of my assistants.

No comments:

Post a Comment