Friday, October 7, 2011

My Father-in-Law Requested a Visit to Springfield, Illinois

Judge Stephen Logan, my father-in-law, wrote at the end of September requesting that I visit him in Springfield, Illinois. I agreed, believing it was in my best interest to visit him and my wife Sally, who had not accompanied my to Washington City. I told him I thought I would visit in October.

I met with Mr. Lincoln followiing my completion of raising the Virginia Regiment, the Lamon Brigade. I asked him "by no means let my brigade be broken up -- or having its name changed. It will bring great dissatisfaction among my men. They are attached to me and I am to them." I also told the president that I personally thought that turning loose the slaves of the enemy was "the strongest card we could play."

My mother was quite upset that of her four boys, three had originally joined the Confederates and that I had joined the Union. I reminded her that she had always taught us to support the government. I am sure she meant that we should support the union, not the rebels.  My brother Robert, who had been arrested early in the war, was released to my custody and is now a deputy helping me perform my official duties.  Now in my mother's world, she had two boys on each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment