Friday, December 23, 2011

Submission of a question to the senate

At the president's insistence, I offered the following letter to the Senate for their consideration.
"In obedience to the resolution of your Honorable body, a copy of which accompanies this, I have the honor to state that since I have held the office of Marshal of the District of Columbia, three persons claimed to be slaves, have been admitted into the jail of said District on the requests, respectively, of the persons claiming to be their owners; that this has been acquiesced in by me, upon an old and uniform custom here, based as I supposed upon some valid law, but of which supposed law I have made no investigation." signed Ward Hill Lamon

President Lincoln signed a bill to increase efficiency of navy. He also signed a bill to raise duty on tea, sugar, coffee, and molasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment