Friday, June 1, 2012

Mr. Lincoln supports my efforts as U. S. District Marshal

In spite of continued criticism from the radicals in Congress, Mr. Lincoln continued to support my position. He sent me a memo this week, dated May 28, saying "The bearer of this, W. H. Lamon, is Marshal of the District of Columbia and my particular friend."

New York Tribune editor Horace Greeley who was indicted for criminal libel for publishing false editorials about me, continues to seek resolution without going to trial. He asked that I be allowed to select any member of Congress from Greeley's own party to negotiate a settlement, with both of us agreeing beforehand to abide by their decision.

Mr. Lincoln ordered that the military take possession of all railroad transportation in the country.

Mr. and Mrs Lincoln attended a concert by opera star Clara Louise Kellogg held on  Tuesday night at the Ford's Theater in Washington City.

No comments:

Post a Comment