Friday, November 23, 2012

Lamon's problems with fugitive slaves comes to a head


The fugitive slave law was causing problems with my position as U.S. Federal Marshal of the District of Columbia. The fugitives were trafficked into the district jails, under my responsibility. They were considered contrabands of war and were therefore forfeited by their owners.  Maryland slave owners wanted full recognition of their legal property.

The basis of much of my problems was General James S. Wadsworth, who commanded the Military District of Washington. Wadsworth and I never once had seen eye to eye.

I complained to President Lincoln about Wadsworth. The president called for a compromise. Each slave would be held in my jail for 24 hours. And then if the military discovered the slave was the property of a rebel owner, he would be released to me and given military protection.

Wadsworth was upset. The president responded by transferring Wadsworth into combat on November 19. 

No comments:

Post a Comment