Friday, April 4, 2014

Mr. Lincoln continues to not be concerned with his safety

I was Mr. Lincoln's bodyguard, so one should not be surprised that I was always concerned with his safety. Mr. Lincoln, on the other hand, did not seem to be concerned with his, saying "I long ago made up my mind that if anybody wants to kill me, he will do it."

It never became more apparent than this week when someone named Francis Xavier came into Mr. Lincoln's office to try to convince the Mr. Lincoln that he, Mr. Xavier, was indeed President of the United States. I was summoned and threw the man out. He was obviously "off his rocker" but still could have harmed Mr. Lincoln. Fortunately upon frisking Mr. Xavier, I found no weapons.

Mr. Lincoln met with Joseph H. Barrett, the commissioner of pensions, this week. Mr. Lincoln was fretting over an attempt by party officials to postpone the upcoming Republican National Convention, to be held in Baltimore, to a later date. Mr. Lincoln opposed the postponement.

He also delivered to the Senate a treaty signed by the Nez Perce Indians in the Washington Territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment