Friday, January 27, 2012

My Resignation is Tendered but Not Accepted

On January 23, 1862, my frustrations reached a high point. I tendered my resignation telling the president "there appears to be a studious effort upon the part of the more radical part of the party which you placed in power, to pursue me with relentless persecution. I am now under condemnation by the United States Senate for doing what I am sure meets your approval. I fear you will be driven to the necessity of either sustaining the action of that body or breaking with them to sustain me, which you cannot afford to do under the circumstances."

My resignation was not accepted by the president. He reminded me that I served him, not Congress. He told me not to take the assaults personally. The Radicals attacked me, he said, because they couldn't attack him.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment