Friday, January 6, 2012

The New Year Arrives

I was a host on January 1 at the new year reception hosted at the White House. Cabinet members and members of Congress met with the President and Mrs. Lincoln starting at 11 am. The general public was allowed into the reception starting at noon. Hundreds gathered and greeted Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln right up to the time the gates were closed at 2 pm. I was troubled with so many unknown persons in close access of Mr. Lincoln. I discussed my concerns following the reception. Mr. Lincoln listened to my concerns but did not take them seriously.

The Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War met and reported that they wanted General George McClellan removed as commanding General. Mr. Lincoln visited General McClellan who was ill at home. The president was not in favor of relieving General McClellan of his position.  

No comments:

Post a Comment