Friday, January 17, 2014

President Lincoln meets with one of his critics

This week the president met with Anna Dickinson and then attended her presentation in from of the House of Representatives. The lady was an abolitionist and women's rights activist who had been critical of Mr. Lincoln. She in fact had called him a "scoundrel" on numerous occasions. Dickinson was the first woman to ever address the Congressmen.

In her address, she took issue sternly of the president's proposal for reconstruction and his apparent generosity to the rebels. She also advocated strongly for suffrage for women.

Around this time radical Republicans in Congress were also considering naming a warden for the jails of the District of Columbia in an attempt to undermine some of my authority as U.S. Federal Marshal. When I complained to Mr. Lincoln about the Congressional attempts, Mr. Lincoln assured me that he still had my full support. He said that their way of getting at him was through me, and that was just part of the way things were done in Washington. He told me not to worry.




No comments:

Post a Comment