Friday, January 24, 2014

The president orders officials in Arkansas to set elections for their state to return to the Union

This week, President Lincoln worked with officials in Arkansas to set up an election to become the first state to return to the Union. Both Louisianan and Arkansas had been mostly under Union jurisdiction. Mr. Lincoln thought that being able to pull states back into the Union under his recent Amnesty plan would greatly undermine the Confederacy.

The Lincolns also hosted a dinner for Cabinet members, members of the Supreme Court and others and their wives at the White House. He always like my presence at these type of events as his official greeter. And I always enjoyed being there.

What I wasn't enjoying recently was testimony made before Congress by recently deposed Jailer Benedict Milburn who erroneously told those troublesome radical Republicans that I made $30,000 from my position as U.S. Federal Marshal and another $18,000 from feeding the prisoners.  While this was certainly an "unmitigated falsehood", I suggested that I would be happy if my remuneration by even 1/6th of that.    

No comments:

Post a Comment